You may be consoled to know that you aren’t alone in your pursuit to find an answer to insomnia. Sleep problems are rampant in today’s modern society, affecting one out of every four people! That’s a lot of people who aren’t getting their restoration and rejuvenation for the oomph they need for the next day.
Sleeping Problems Are Dangerous
It’s well-known that sleep problems can significantly diminish your quality of life – plus they can make you more prone to develop injuries and make mistakes at work that could lead to work injuries. Insomnia is now connected with many health problems including heart disease, anxiety, obesity and even cancer. Your body absolutely must have its beauty rest every night or else you simply won’t have good health!
Interestingly, you might even take some popular hypnotic sleep aids – and increase your risk of death by three times! That’s what a well-controlled study revealed in 2012 that shocked the nation! Hypnotic sleep aids are dangerous and should be avoided at all costs.
Treating Sleep Problems Naturally
In this series of blog posts, I’ll show you different methods you can use to get your sleep schedule back on track.
Sleep problems are something you may not even know you have – and they can creep up on you before you know it! Many people will remember the good old days when they got a good night of sleep – and not even realize that it is a lot more difficult for them to fall asleep now.
The “Do I have Insomnia?” Quiz
Ready to take the quiz? You do realize that the answers you give can change your present view of how you think and feel about your sleep and/or insomnia, right?
Proceed ahead, knowing that no matter what type of score you have, there is something that can be done to improve your sleep.
Quiz: Do You Have Sleep Problems?
1. Do you toss and turn in bed at night?
2. Do you often find yourself thinking about your problems in bed?
3. Do you ever wake up in the middle of the night and can’t get back
4. Do family members tell you that sometimes you sleepwalk?
5. Do you wake up tired and find you are dragging yourself through the
6. Do you make mistakes at work or at home because you are tired?
7. Do you ever wish you could just sleep solidly for 8 hours straight?
8. Do you get up in the middle of the night to urinate?
9. Do you wake up at different times every morning?
10. Do noises startle you during your sleep, even though they aren’t loud?
11. Have you tried sleeping pills to help you sleep better?
12. Do you occasionally get good sleep at night?
13. Do you alter the time of the night you get into bed?
14. Do you watch television right before bed?
15. Do you engage in mental or intellectual work right before bed?
Do you have lights on in your room or in the nearby hallway when
16. Is the temperature in your bedroom too hot or too cold most of the
time when sleeping?
17. Do you sleep with animals (or husband/spouse) that takes over a
large portion of the bed?
18. Do you sleep with your head within 3 feet of an alarm clock?
19. Do you charge up your cell phone on the bedstand right next to
20. Are you bothered by pain anywhere in your body?
21. Are you going through menopausal hot flashes?
22. Does your bed partner snore?
23. Do you drink coffee or eat caffeinated foods or beverages five hours
prior to going to bed?
24. Do you eat a big dinner within 2-3 hours of going to bed?
25. Do you eat a sugary treat right before bed?
26. Do you have diabetes?
27. Do you exercise right before bed?
28. Do you sleep on a bad mattress or an exceptionally hard or soft surface
29. Have you been recently sleeping on a couch or cushions instead of a bed?
30. Do you have a young child who wakes you during the night?
31. Have you ever been diagnosed with sleep apnea?
32. Do you sleep with an electric meter or smart meter on the opposite side of the wall next to your head?
33. Do you presently take sleeping pills now?
34. Do you worry about your ability to fall asleep?
35. Do you worry about your ability to function when you can’t get a night of sleep?
36. Do you call yourself an insomniac?
0-5 You have sleep problems only occasionally. By altering the factors that are interfering with your sleep right now, you have a great chance of preventing any sleep disorders in the immediate future.
6-10 You have clear interruptions to your sleep at night.
11+ You will benefit greatly from natural sleep aids, changing your bedroom environment and altering your habits surrounding sleep as well.
Remember, whatever score you have on this quiz, it can be improved within a short amount of time. In the next parts of this blog series, I’ll share practical methods to help you sleep and get the rest your body needs to perform. Stay tuned!